Duo is leaving Google with a single video platform, which it will call Meet
The new Google Meet home screen
As Duo and Meet become one, Duo’s mobile app will become standard, and the Duo app will be renamed Google Meet later this year. The current Meet app is becoming known as Meet Original. An update will eventually be made available to the Duo, which sends Meet features to the Duo platform.
Duo will receive these new features thanks to the update:
- Customize virtual backgrounds in calls and meetings.
- Schedule meetings so that everyone can attend at a time that suits them.
- Use chat for the meeting to get deeper engagement.
- Share content live to enable interaction with all participants in the call.
- Get real-time subtitles to better support accessibility and increase participation.
- Increase the size of video calls from a current limit of 32 to 100 participants.
- Integrate with other tools including Gmail, Google Calendar, Assistant, Messaging and more.
Meet is the obvious choice for Google to focus on for its video and voice capabilities
Workspaces Soltero says that as Meet has grown during the pandemic, it has become the more obvious choice for Google to focus on for its video and voice capabilities. Google has a lot of work ahead as it seeks to recognize which device you are using at a particular time and only sends messages to that device.
We are committed to making the transition from Duo to Meet as smooth as possible, “said Google. In 2020, Google began offering Meet for free to users and also pushed more than 100 features and enhancements out to the app.