Buckingham Palace will be forced to break royal tradition after a barrage of criticism for how they updated the public on the queen’s health, a royal expert has said.
The palace faced severe setbacks from the public and the media when they first announced that the Queen would take a rest period after claiming she was in Windsor while spending an evening in the hospital instead.
The Queen’s recent handling of ill health has caused concern and she was forced to skip the Remembrance Day service a few days ago, Express reports.
Read more news about the Queen on CambridgeshireLive
And on Tuesday, Prince Edward appeared on behalf of Her Majesty at the National Assembly of the Church of England. He delivered her message in which she said that ‘none of us can slow down the passage of time’.
The royal family is traditionally very private in health matters, but the blunder from Buckingham Palace may force aides to be more “transparent” to the public, expert Angela Mollard argued.
When you sign up for the CambridgeshireLive newsletter, you will receive our daily newsletter.
It couldn’t be easier and it takes seconds – just click here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
You can also enter your address at the top of this page in the box below the image on most desktop and mobile platforms.
Have you changed your mind? There is a ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
Ms Mollard told Sunrise: “She is a human being and has a right to confidentiality, especially around her medical situation, sick leave.
“But last month, when she went to the hospital for these tests, there was an outcry that the palace obscured about the information that has been released so far.
“For example, the royal correspondent at the BBC was aroused by the fact that they were giving out to their views and listeners that she was resting at Windsor Castle the very moment she was in hospital during initial investigations.
“So he called, there was a rumor about the fact that they had not been transparent and therefore they went out right away and said it’s a sprained back.
“They’ll have to be transparent in the future. She’s obviously a private person, but a public person.”
The Queen was to attend the cenotaph ceremony for Remembrance Day with “firm intentions”, which were unfortunately broken due to a “back sprain”.
The castle has removed this week’s planned events from the queen’s busy agenda so she can rest on the doctor’s advice.
The health scare was a call to the younger generation to go up in the royal duties to reduce the workload for Her Majesty.
Royal expert Penny Junor told The Mirror: “I think we will see more of her on video and probably less of her in the flesh. They should keep her warm and tucked away at home and not expose themselves to the possibility of infections.”
Joe Little, executive editor of Majesty magazine, told the newspaper that there are similarities when the Queen Mother reached a similar age and “things gradually got harder”.
He said: “But the Queen Mother continued, and there is no reason to believe that the Queen will not do it, but this is a setback.
“Obviously there are mobility issues. Coming from Windsor with a sprained back and having to stand for 15 to 20 minutes at Cenotaph is not helpful for anyone at 95.
Want more news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter here.