Liverpool bombs start making ‘relevant purchases’ for attack in April | UK News

The Liverpool bomber began making “relevant purchases” for his attack in April, counter-terrorism police have said.

Emad al Swealmeen died in one explosion outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital in a taxi shortly before 11 a.m. on Memorial Sunday.

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said “a complex picture” was emerging in connection with the purchase of the components for the unit.

“We know that al Swealmeen leased the property from April this year and we believe relevant purchases have been made at least since then,” he said in a statement.

“We have now tracked down a relative of al Swealmeen who has informed us that he was born in Iraq.

“Our research has found that all Swealmeen have had episodes of mental illness, this will be part of the investigation and will take some time to fully understand.”

Jackson said an autopsy had confirmed the cause of death as “damage caused by the fire and explosion”.

More on Liverpool Terror Attack

He also appealed to people who knew al Swealmeen – especially during this year – to step forward, but said police are currently “not finding any connection to others in the Merseyside area who are concerned”.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Police believe the passenger took an improvised explosive device into the vehicle before detonating it.

It comes after the Home Secretary said the attacker was capable of it exploit Britain’s ‘dysfunctional’ asylum system to stay in the country.

Priti Patel said the system was a “complete carousel” with an “entire industry” dedicated to defending the rights of individuals who intend to cause harm.

Al Swealmeen, 32, understood has arrived in the UK from the Middle East in 2014 and was denied an application for asylum the following year but was still in the country.

Patel told reporters: “These people have come to our country and have abused British values, abused the values ​​of the structure of our country and our society.

“And as a result, there’s an entire industry that believes it’s right to defend these individuals who are causing the most heinous crimes against British citizens, ruining their lives, destroying communities – and that’s completely wrong.”

Al Swealmeen is believed to have converted from Islam to Christianity in Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral in 2017.

Priti Patel On Sky news
Picture:
Home Secretary Priti Patel said the attacker was taking advantage of Britain’s dysfunctional ‘asylum system

There have been reports of growing unrest in the Home Office over the role the Church of England is playing in converting asylum seekers.

Others have expressed concern that some in Liverpool may have pretended to convert to Christianity in an attempt to increase their chances of being allowed to stay in the UK.

Malcolm Hitchcott, who along with his wife had taken all the Swealmeen into their home to live with them, said he had contacted them in 2017 when he was “desperate” for a place to live.

In a speech to the Daily Telegraph, Hitchcott said: “He was very quiet but deeply moved by the faith in Jesus. I used to pray every day for half an hour in the dining room with him. I do not think he pretended to believe.”

The couple described al Swealmeen as artistic and a racing fan. He was reported to have changed his name to Enzo after racing driver Enzo Ferrari.

Police also said Wednesday that the burned-out taxi had been removed outside the hospital, but that specialists were still conducting searches.

Footage showed Cabbie David Perry running from the car moments after Sunday’s explosion, while his wife said it was “a complete miracle” he escaped relatively unharmed.

Leave a Comment

Advertise