‘Tensions’ with Prince William forced Prince Harry and Meghan Markle out of Kensington Palace, according to reports.
Long before Megxit in January 2020 saw the Duke and Duchess of Sussex pack their bags and leave Britain for California, they made a smaller but significant move.
Royal insiders explained Harry and Meghan were leaving Kensington Palace for Frogmore Cottage in the grounds of Windsor Castle as a result of mounting sibling tension.
In November 2018 a royal statement said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will move to Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor Estate early next year as they prepare for the arrival of their first child.
“The couple have lived at Nottingham Cottage since their engagement last year.
“Windsor is a very special place for their Royal Highnesses and they are grateful that their official residence will be on the estate.
“The Duke and Duchess’s office will continue to be based at Kensington Palace.”
According to one royal source, the Sussexes were keen to “strike out on their own” which they have certainly done since.
Royal source claimed: “The initial plan was for Harry and Meghan to move out of their cottage in the grounds of Kensington Palace and into one of the main apartments.
“But there has been a bit of tension between the brothers.
“Now Harry and Meghan do not want to live next to William and Kate and want to strike out on their own.
“They need more room and hope Frogmore Cottage will be ready in time for when they have the baby.”
Frogmore House has bedrooms and a nursery for their baby which is expected in the spring of 2019. It is where Meghan and Harry’s lavish wedding reception was held in May.
Another insider was also quoted saying: “Harry and Meghan want to move, and need more space, but they do not want to live next door to William and Catherine.
“They will soon have separate offices and separate lives, so it would make sense for them to live further afield.
“There is no reason why their London home has to be at Kensington Palace.
“There are plenty of other options, including using their own money to buy their own place.”
Harry and Meghan’s eventual decision to “step back” from their roles as senior members of the Royal Family has not been fully seen in public events due to coronavirus measures canceling them.
This year however, the couple’s absences have been and will be more noticeable than ever as royal engagements return.
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
Despite having no formal role in the various events celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee, the Daily Telegraph reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been invited to Buckingham Palace for the Trooping the Color ceremony on June 2.
Palace insiders have said that the Sussexes’ presence would mean a lot to Her Majesty, but the show of solidarity would require a “leap of faith” after the war of words that broke out in the wake of the couple’s controversial Oprah Winfrey interview.
A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess – who were in the Netherlands this week for the Invictus Games – has said that they were not in a position to confirm future travel plans.