Rape criminal personal trainer faces life for stabbing his girlfriend, 23, through the throat in roid attacks

Rapist Taye Francis (pictured), 40, was in “roid rage” when he stabbed Khloemae Loy, 23, in the neck of a hotel room near the O2 in Greenwich, London, hearing Old Bailey

A personal trainer who murdered his lover while battling the effects of years of steroid abuse risks a life sentence.

Rapist Taye Francis, 40, was in “roid rage” when he stabbed Khloemae Loy, 23, in the neck of a hotel room near the O2 in Greenwich, London, hearing Old Bailey.

He took pictures of her body on their blood-soaked bed and sent one to his lawyer, saying, ‘I murdered my girlfriend.’

Francis then smashed the hotel window and fell from the fifth floor in an attempt to escape.

He was known as Ashley Wyatt when he was convicted in 2002 of raping a 19-year-old.

She was attacked once on a train toilet and then seed-marched to her father’s home in Thornton Heath in south-east London, where she was raped again.

A six-year prison sentence did not slow down Francis’ violence, and he assaulted Khloemae many times. He was jailed again when he threw her in a trash can.

Her parents had begged Khloemae to leave him and knew that Francis would eventually kill her if she stayed with him.

When police arrived at their door the day she was murdered, her father Dany did not have to ask why they were there, simply saying, ‘He killed her, not true.’

Francis claimed he was not responsible at the time of the murder because he was mentally ill.

He took pictures of her body on their blood-soaked bed and sent one to his lawyer, saying, 'I murdered my girlfriend.'  In the photo: Khlomemae

He took pictures of her body on their blood-soaked bed and sent one to his lawyer, saying, ‘I murdered my girlfriend.’ In the photo: Khlomemae

He told psychiatrists that he stabbed Khlomemae in the misguided belief that she was helping people who were trying to kill him.

But the jury found him guilty of his condition by injecting steroids, and Francis now risks a life sentence.

Francis showed no emotion when he was convicted of murder by an Old Bailey jury with a 10-to-two majority decision.

The victim’s mother Maxine was crying in the back of the court when the verdict was handed down.

The Recorder of London, Judge Mark Lucraft remanded the killer in custody until December 6.

The court heard that steroid abuse leads to ‘impulsivity, irritability, impaired sleep and paranoid beliefs’, and several bodybuilders have ended up as long-term inmates in psychiatric institutions.

Francis was obsessed with his rape sentence and thought he was being chased by vigilantes who wanted revenge.

Former Croydon College student Khlomemae met Francis when she was 18 and he was 34 when she worked at a pub.

He had trained as a butcher at Smithfield, but then moved on to personal training and had been employed by wealthy clients at Canary Wharf.

When he killed Khlomemae, he had been injecting steroids for almost ten years.

Francis lied to the teenager’s parents, Dany and Maxine Loy, and claimed he was 26 and also a college student. It was the beginning of five years of nightmare for them.

Prosecutor Kate Lumsdon said: ‘Khloemae was quite secretive about the relationship.

‘When Mr and Mrs Loy met him, they did not approve. They noticed that Khloemae’s behavior was starting to change.

‘She started drinking a lot more. She said she would move away from home and get her own place. There were a number of incidents that gave them cause for concern. ‘

The couple went to the Holiday Inn Express near the O2 arena on the Greenwich Peninsula (pictured), where Khloemae was to be murdered

The couple went to the Holiday Inn Express near the O2 arena on the Greenwich Peninsula (pictured), where Khloemae was to be murdered

Police were called in February 2017 after Francis assaulted Khloemae and threw her in a trash can.

Francis was convicted of assault, jailed and a restraining order was issued preventing him from contacting his victim.

Her parents believed that their trials were coming to an end and the couple were separated for some time.

But in December 2019, Khloemae called her mother to tell her they were living together again.

Mrs Lumsdon said: ‘Khloemae kept talking to her mother about this situation as they entered 2020 and the mother remembers that she was being saddened by the situation,’

Francis and Mrs. Loy moved to an apartment in Sutton after he was convinced that people were ‘after him’.

‘On 1 July 2020, Mrs Loy received a call from Khloemae in which she said she had been taken to hospital when concerns were raised when she was seen sitting on a windowsill.

‘She was calm as they talked together and her parents went to pick her up at Queen Elizabeth Hospital where she had been held overnight.

‘Her parents urged Khloemae to leave Mr. Francis, as they had done before.

‘Khloemae said she could not leave him or he would attack Mr and Mrs Loy. So they took her back to the apartment in Sutton, ‘said Mrs Lumsdon.

In the apartment, they found Francis, who was wearing a police-style “vest” and had used a bed to barricade the door.

The next day, Mrs Loy’s parents drove the couple to temporary accommodation in Slough. Francis thought his parents were driving around Slough looking at him.

Two days before the killing, Francis called police, claiming that people outside his apartment threatened him.

After officers who attended found no cause for concern, the couple began packing feverishly, saying they were moving back to London.

Later that day, officers were called to St Mary’s Hospital Paddington after hospital staff became concerned about Francis’ behavior.

He and Mrs. Loy sought an emergency assessment of mental health to get new housing, but were told that there was a long wait and that they needed to be assessed separately.

The officers who spoke to them let them go after being convinced that although Francis showed ‘signs of paranoia’, he was not ‘an immediate risk to himself or anyone else’.

On July 4, Khloemae called her mother and canceled their plans to meet to shop and said she was going to the coast to meet Francis’ parents instead.

She asked her father for £ 300 for tickets and accommodation. ‘Sir. Loy transferred the money. That was the last time he spoke to her, ‘said Mrs Lumsdon.

After the incident at the hospital, the couple went to a hotel in Pimlico, and Francis called an ambulance there and said he needed a mental health assessment when he cut himself.

From there, the couple took to the Holiday Inn Express near the O2 arena on the Greenwich Peninsula, where Khloemae was to be murdered.

Francis injected steroids the day before he killed his partner.

Later that evening, Francis sent a series of texts to recipients, including some believed to be lawyers, claiming that someone had tried to arrange his murder.

He spent the night searching the internet, including his name and ‘Taye Francis rapist’.

On the morning of her death, an ‘angry and upset’ Khloemae called the hotel reception to say that someone had knocked on her door and the staff member told her that she had asked the reception not to do so.

Francis had begun a paranoid quarrel, believing that those who had knocked on the door were people who would kill him.

“That was the last time anyone outside the room spoke to Khloemae,” Mrs Lumsdon said.

Just before 10 a.m., Francis called an ambulance and told the operator, ‘Quickly, my girlfriend is dying – I stabbed her in the neck.’

During the 999 call, Francis smashed the window of the hotel room.

When the concerned hotel staff tried to gain access to the room, Francis told them that the door was open even though it was not.

A lawyer who received one of Francis’ many paranoid messages about someone trying to murder him sent a text message: ‘The police are the only people who can help you’.

In response, Francis sent him a picture of Mrs. Loy lying dead on the bed on WhatsApp, adding: ‘I killed my girlfriend’.

Police arrived to see Francis throw his luggage out the window on the fifth floor before climbing up the window sill.

‘He crawled out of the window and appeared before the officers below to try to crawl down. He hung for a moment and tried to gain a foothold, “the prosecutor said.

‘Taye Francis continued to try to lower himself, but he lost his grip and fell onto the ledge above the main entrance to the hotel.’

After forcing themselves into the room, officers found Mrs. Loy’s lifeless body on top of bedding soaked in blood.

“She had a deep cut on her neck,” said Mrs. Lumsdon.

Police later found a set of kitchen knives in the room, which had been purchased by Mr. Francis and the victim about a week earlier from Asda in Sutton.

Mrs Lumsdon said a larger blue knife found in a cardboard box in the bathroom was identified as the murder weapon.

Francis was found on the edge bleeding, but consciously, by officers who arrested him and provided first aid.

He broke his collarbone, shoulder and ribs and broke a vertebra and spent three weeks in the hospital.

“On Sunday afternoon, July 5, Mr and Mrs Loy were at home when uniformed police knocked on the door,” Mrs Lumsdon said.

‘Her father came downstairs. He said, ‘He killed her, didn’t he?’. The officers confirmed that he had. ‘

In a statement of impact, Khloemae’s parents said: ‘Khloemae was only 23 at the time of her death. She is missed by her family and friends.

‘We all miss her bubbly personality, she was always the life and soul of the party and she always tried to see the best in everyone. She was like our little porcelain doll.

‘At the age of 23, Khloemae had already endured five years of suffering from the hands of Taye Francis, as all she did was seek love and commitment from him.

‘Taye tricked her into his world. He lied to her from the beginning. He lied about his age, his job, and the fact that he was a student at a local college.

‘He tried to manipulate and control Khloemae from the start. He took her away from her family and friends and abused her physically and emotionally.

“Even though Khloemae is no longer here with us, she still exists. Taye has taken Khloemae’s life, but by doing so he has also ruined ours. We cannot experience her love and happiness.”

Detective Quinn Cutler said: ‘Taye Francis is a violent, controlling man who subjected Khloemae to constant aggression and abuse as a result of his own paranoia.

“His horrific actions have robbed a family of a much-loved young woman who had her whole life ahead of her, and our team was determined to do justice to her and those who have been deprived of her loss.”

Emma Currie from CPS said: ‘Taye Francis was not only controlling, violent and angry – he was also completely paranoid and walked around wearing a life jacket.

‘As a registered sex offender, he was convinced that everyone knew about this and was out to get hold of him.

‘Khloemae Loy was an innocent victim in this and tragically lost his life after being caught in a spiral of abuse at the hands of Francis.

‘The prosecution was able to present strong testimony from toxicological experts and a history of evidence describing past violent incidents concerning Francis’ former partners as well as Khloemae.

‘The defense argued that Francis had suffered from a medical illness that weakened his thinking and consequent actions, but the prosecution was able to prove to the jury that Francis had in fact become paranoid as a result of voluntarily taking anabolic steroids.

‘Domestic violence can have a devastating effect. CPS is dedicated to bringing offenders to court where possible.

“While nothing can bring Mrs. Loy back, I hope this verdict gives a sense of justice to her family and friends. Our thoughts remain with them at this time.”

Francis admitted manslaughter due to diminished responsibility, but denied murder.


Leave a Comment