The last gang member jailed after smashing JD Sports in a horrific attack

The last gang member who smashed a JD Sports in a horrific attack has been jailed.

Cain Gordon, 20, was spotted on CCTV from the Manchester Fort Retail Park store, where he walked into the store and produced a relay from his shorts.

When he stepped in with two others, Levi Murray, 19, and Jake Firth, 18, they continued to attack a group of young men in front of terrified customers, including young children and staff.

READ MORE: BREAKING: Investigation of murder initiated after taxi driver, 39, dies

In footage played at Manchester Crown Court, the three enter the shop in Cheetham Hill before Murray from Salford was handed the baton by Gordon.

Murray then swung a baton directly at a man before turning his attention to another man defending himself by sending a rack of clothes over him.

The video then showed Firth from Salford appearing to throw a bottle of water at two more men before one of the victims picked up a long piece of furniture, which he waved at Murray.

Gordon, from Manchester, was then seen throwing the furniture rack and picking up and throwing a mannequin, while Firth pulled on the arm of a mannequin to use it as a club.

Levi Murray

Murray and Firth were heard at a previous hearing, but Gordon failed to appear and his sentence was postponed until today (November 16).

Prosecutor David Lees said there were a number of people inside the store at the time, including young children who were being led away by their parents and seeking refuge at the back of the store.

The total cost of the damage was around £ 4,100, he said.

In a statement, the floor manager at JD Sports said: “This was the first Saturday opening since Covid.

“We were extremely busy and the store had lots of kids with their parents, many of them ran away from the fight and hid behind their parents.

“At one point, a father holds an approximately one-year-old daughter in his hands while one of the victims strides past him, trying to move away from the attack.

“As much as I’ve seen fights in the past, this incident has left me shaken and it made me worry about my staff and customers as it’s not something they should see.

He added that the staff were reluctant to go back to work and the incident was “shocking and disgusting”.

Manchester courts are some of the busiest in the country with a wide range of cases being processed each week.

To stay up to date on how justice is being done in Greater Manchester, subscribe to our free weekly MEN Court News newsletter compiled by our court reporters Andrew Bardsley and Amy Walker.

How do I sign up?

  1. First, click on this link to our newsletter signup center.
  2. Once there, put your email address where it says at the top, and then tick the MEN Court News box. There are other newsletters available if you want them too.
  3. Once you have made your selection, press the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Gordon was to have previous convictions for possession of an offensive weapon, robbery and possession of hashish where he was part of a group that robbed a man of his car where he had a large silver knife.

Mitigatingly, Adam Brown said, “This is an inevitable custodial sentence.”

Judge Suzanne Goddard QC told the lawyer: “He has had difficulties in his life, I accept that, but he has to grow up.

“If he keeps getting involved with people in the form of a gang, and this will just continue.”

She judged him and said, “The video shows what happened on that occasion.

“You seemed to give him a relay, you know there would be trouble.

“Of course there was some story between the three of you and the person in the store.

“It created great concern for the people in the store. There were women and families and small children who had to be led out of the way.

“It has also had an impact on the staff.

“You’ve had difficulties in your life, you were injured in a shooting last January.

“You need to start thinking about how you want to live the rest of your life, or if you want to keep coming back to court and having more problems – the case is up to you.”

Gordon of Crumpsall was jailed for 22 and a half months and was made the subject of a criminal conduct order banning him from going to the retail area or associating with Firth for three years.

He had previously pleaded guilty to criminal damage to property worth less than £ 5,000, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and assault.

Murray was sentenced to 20 months in custody for fraud, 12 months for criminal damage and 12 months for having an offensive weapon to serve time at the same time.

He was ordered to stay away from the Firth and Manchester Fort for 36 months.

Firth received a 26-month community order and demands for 30 hours of rehabilitation activity, 180 hours of unpaid work and a two-year criminal conduct order.

See the latest legal and criminal news in your area by receiving email updates


Leave a Comment