Liverpool terror suspect Emad Al Swealmeen was a cake decorating student at a college in the city, it has been revealed.
Police believe Al Swealmeen died when an improvised explosive device went off in a taxi outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital just before 11am on Sunday 14 November.
The 32-year-old, who was born in Iraq, came to the UK several years ago.
Read more:Liverpool terror suspects have ‘bought parts for bomb since April’
He was baptized in Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral in 2015 and lived with the Christian couple Malcolm and Elizabeth Hitchcott for a period in their southern Liverpool home after first meeting with them in 2015.
It has now been revealed that Al Swealmeen was a student at City of Liverpool College during the 2018/2019 academic year.
The college, which is based in the city center, confirmed that he was an adult student of cake decorating.
A statement said: “Like many others, we are deeply saddened by the events at Liverpool Women’s Hospital this weekend.
“Emad (Enzo) Al Swealmeen was an adult cake decorating student at the college during the 2018/2019 academic year, and we are appalled to hear about his involvement in the tragic events that took place.
“The well-being of our students and staff remains the priority of the City of Liverpool College during this time, which has been unsettling for the whole city and the wider urban region.
“In line with the public appeals from Merseyside Police and other local leaders, we do not intend to comment further on what is still an active police investigation at present.”
Yesterday, Liverpool Cathedral confirmed that Al Swealmeens was baptized there in 2015 and confirmed in 2017 before losing contact with the church in 2018.
Today, the anti-terror police issued an update on the investigation into the explosion.
Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, Head of Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: “The investigation into the terrorist incident at Liverpool Women’s Hospital on Sunday 14 November is continuing.
“The taxi in which the unit exploded has now been removed, and today there will be line searches by specialists at the Hospital, who can go in tomorrow.
“There is a complex picture of the purchase of the components in the unit, we know that Al Swealmeen rented the property from April this year, and we believe that relevant purchases have been made at least since then.
“We have now tracked down a relative of Al Swealmeen who has informed us that he was born in Iraq.
“Our investigations have found that Al Swealmeen has had episodes of mental illness, this will be part of the investigation and will take some time to fully understand.
“There are a lot of comments in the media about Al Swealmeen and it is clear that he was known by many people.
“We continue to appeal to people who knew him, especially those who were associated with him this year, as we try to put together the events that led to this incident and the causes of it.
“At present, we do not find any connection to others in the Merseyside area who are concerned, but this remains a rapid investigation, and as more becomes known, we can not rule out action against others.”
Anyone with any information should call 0161 856 1027 and quote the Liverpool Women’s Hospital incident.
Details can be passed on to the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sports and news from Liverpool ECHO by signing up here