By Press Association 2021
Two young men have been arrested in west London by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command unit.
The force said the 19- and 21-year-old couple were detained Tuesday morning and have been detained while officers continue to search for addresses in the area.
Commander Richard Smith, of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said police do not believe there is an immediate threat to the wider public, and urged anyone who may have seen suspicious activity to report it to police.
He said: “Based on inquiries from detectives so far, there is believed to be no immediate threat to the public and the detainees remain in custody.
“We are all aware that Britain’s national threat level has been raised from significant to serious following the events in Merseyside, and we need to work together to defeat terrorism.
“The public is, as always, our eyes and ears, and nothing should stop you from reporting suspicions to the police.
“Every day, teams within the Met and across Counter Terrorism Policing nationally proactively investigate, identify, and target those we suspect of being involved in terrorism.
“If you see or hear something during your everyday life that does not work properly, trust your instincts and report it, as your information may be the key to stopping terrorist activity.”
The arrests were not linked to the Liverpool Women’s Hospital incident, police said.