Woman arrested as murder probe continues into death of 18-year-old

A woman was arrested by murder squad detectives investigating the death of an 18-year-old on Saturday.

Merseyside Police were called to London Road in Liverpool city center after a young man was found badly injured at an internet café. Police and paramedics were called at around 5.50pm on April 16 following reports a teenager had been assaulted.

He was taken to the Royal Liverpool Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Police have since launched a murder probe as their inquiries into the victim’s death continue.

READ MORE:‘Erratic’ driver clue in Liverpool city center murder probe

Tonight police confirmed they had arrested a 34-year-old woman from Fazakerley on suspicion of assisting an offender. She is currently in custody where she is being questioned by detectives.

Detective Chief Inspector Terry Davies said: “Although we have made an arrest our inquiries are still ongoing. This incident happened in a busy area of ​​Liverpool City Center on Saturday evening.

Mounted Police on London Road.

“We know there were a number of people standing at bus stops on London Road, walking past TJ Hughes or driving along London Road who may have witnessed this incident or a vehicle driving erratically at that time. I am keen to appeal to those people to come forward so we can speak to them. Similarly anybody who may have mobile phone footage or dash cam footage then please come forward. “

Anyone with information on this incident can contact @MerPolCC, 101 or @CrimestoppersUK, anonymously on 0800 555 111 with reference 22000261976. Anyone with any footage, can upload this to be viewed by police via the following link to the NICE website https: // unitedkingdom1cpp-portal.digital-policing.co.uk/merseyside/appeal/assistance-required-in-relation-to-an-incident-on-london-road

On Monday afternoon, several bouquets of flowers were left just outside the police cordon which remains in place outside the internet café. Following news of the man’s death, people across the city have shared their messages of support to his grieving family.

One person, who did not wish to be named, told the ECHO: “It’s so sad, and in broad daylight. Eighteen is such a young age, they had their whole life ahead of them. Our thoughts to the family right now.”

Police at the cordoned off Internet Cafe on Monument Place.
Police at the cordoned off Internet Cafe on Monument Place.

Another passer-by said: “My heart breaks for them, another life gone too soon.” A third said: “It’s absolutely devastating.”

Detectives investigating the murder are keen to speak to people who were seen standing at a bus stop on London Road and walking past TJ Hughes at the time of the incident who may have witnessed what happened. They are also appealing to a driver of a vehicle which was seen being driven erratically at the time.

A large police cordon was put in place on Saturday evening with around 12 police cars and vans at the scene as well as forensics officers and paramedics. A smaller police cordon remains in place as the investigation continues.

Leave a Comment