Young girl rushed to hospital after being bitten by venomous snake during picnic

A young girl was rushed to hospital after being bitten on the finger by a venomous snake while out enjoying an Easter picnic with her family.

The adder bit the schoolgirl, aged eight, on the hand before she was taken to hospital during the Bank Holiday weekend.

The girl, whose name has been withheld, had been spending the day with her family at Kinver Edge, on the border between Staffordshire and Worcestershire, on April 16, The Mirror reports.

When the youngster arrived at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, doctors administered an intravenous infusion of anti-venom serum.

Fortunately, she is now recovering, but is currently being kept under observation by doctors as a precaution.



The youngster was taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital for treatment

Her dad, David Rathbone, said: “She had been alerted to the snake’s presence by one of our party, and being a plucky girl, she investigated the striking-looking reptile with her finger.

“Unusually, the snake did not retreat but struck at her finger.

“She gave out a ‘yelp’, at which point I grabbed her hand and sucked hard at the wound on the tip of her index finger.



Within 15 minutes her whole hand had swollen
Within 15 minutes her whole hand had swollen

“The snake still did not retreat. The snake also struck at my hand forcing me to whip my hand out of range.

“She then complained of pain and swelling, so we jumped into my car to Kidderminster hospital as the swelling to her fingers rapidly increased.

“About 15-minutes later at the minor injuries unit her whole hand had begun to swell.

“The staff acted swiftly, binding her hand and lower arm. Then they made the decision to whisk us under blue lights to Birmingham Children’s Hospital where serum was stored.

“She was taken into the resuscitation unit. She was in fine spirits throughout, being a very brave girl, until she received an intravenous infusion of anti-venom serum, which made her quite ill as it’s a strong drug.

“After a tetanus jab, she was kept under close observation. A second intravenous infusion was administered at about 1am today.

“She is now feeling fine, if not a little fed up at missing out on a planned Easter egg hunt, while she remains under observation at the hospital.”

Mr Rathbone added: “This is a very rare event, and the snake’s behavior quite bizarre, perhaps triggered by the sudden change in weather to this warm spell. I hope this alerts walkers using similar bracken heathlands.”

Do not miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Leave a Comment

Advertise